« Second Life snapshot news | Main | JISC ITTs: lifelong identity management and the role of e-portfolios in assessment »

March 04, 2008

Homework vs. network

British 15-to-19-year-olds admit spending significantly less time doing homework than they used to as a result of their use of social-networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace and Bebo, according to research published today.

So reported the Guardian yesterday, based on the findings of a study produced by Entertainment Media Research for media law firm Wiggin.  I think I could have told them that.  Just come round our house.

Similarly unsurprising, only 13% of men in the 45 to 54 age group (it's my birthday today and I'm rapidly approaching the middle of that group) "regularly browse social-networking sites", as opposed to 55% in the 15 to 19 age group.

But my favorite obvious statement from the report... 79% of people fast-forward thru the adverts in recorded TV shows "most" or "all" of the time.  Err, so what's wrong with the other 21%, can't they find Frank quickly enough?  (Frank->Frank Zapper->Zapper->TV remote control).  As a result, "some advertisers have been experimenting with adverts that make sense only when watched in fast forward". Lol.

On a slightly more serious note, the report claims that "70% of British 15-to-54-year-olds who have illegally downloaded copyrighted material would not do so again if they got an email or call from their ISP".  Well maybe... though I can't say that I'm totally convinced.

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8345203ba69e200e550ab196d8834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Homework vs. network:

Comments

so what's wrong with the other 21%,

p'raps they're out of the room ... putting the kettle on / were paying so little attention to the TV in the first place that they didn't realise it *was* the ads.

Or maybe they've found that the ads are more fun than the TV!

Wonder how those fast forward ads will work when you're actually watching it at the right time...

To get back to the homework vs network - I wonder if they asked them how much of the "networking" time was spent talking about the homework ... (and how truthful an answer they'd have got!)

Happy birthday. We notices that you weren't showing your year of birth in your Facebook profile. Identity theft protection? Or lost in the mists of time? :-)

The comments to this entry are closed.

About

Search

Loading
eFoundations is powered by TypePad